Sunday, March 28, 2010

Almond Poppy Seed Bread

My sister sent me this recipe to try a few weeks ago.  It's been on my list of "to dos" and today was the day.  I was intrigued by the quirky measurements and I thought I'd give it a whirl.  It has that wonderful hint of almond extract that reminds me of Christmas cookies.  It is super yummy!  Give it a try, you won't be sorry.


Poppy Seed Bread
3 cups flour, sifted
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/8 cups vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp poppy seeds
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp almond extract
1 1/2 tsp butter, melted

Grease and lightly flour two 9x5 inch loaf pans. In a large bowl mix all ingredients, then beat for 2 minutes. Pour into pans and bake at 350 for 1 hour. Pour glaze over hot bread in pans. Let cool before removing from pans.

Orange Glaze

3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp butter, melted

In a small bowl combine all ingredients together. Pour over hot bread or orange rolls.






** Don't look too closely at my bread; it's a little over cooked.  The mister was in charge of taking it out of the oven while I ran to my sister's house.  He heard the timer beep and he just left it because he "figured I would be home soon."  I just love that guy, but he does have a long history of oven issues.

3 comments:

Margene said...

I will have to try it and save some for Poppy. She tells me that she will eat anything with Poppy seeds in it. I wonder why.

iammommahearmeroar said...

Can't say I've made that one, but I did get to sample it. It was DELICIOUS!!! Yum! I wish you could give taste testers through the internet.

bingham 5 said...

Mmmm...this looks good!
New to your blog - you are one funny lady!

Related Posts with Thumbnails