Thursday, September 9, 2010

Five Guys Review

Most of you know that I am a restaurant snob.  If not you can see proof HERE.

I've been a huge fan of In-N-Out Burger for several years.  To show my support for them, I have shunned Five Guys because I thought it was a rip off of my old favorite.

Then complications started happening for me and my protest.  I don't exactly live anywhere near an In-N-Out.  Although I do visit whenever my travels allow it.  Then Five Guys have started popping up all around our area.  The pressure got to me and...  I caved.  A girl can only be so strong-- alright!
So the Mister and I set out to see what all the fuss was about.
We sampled a few of the menu items.  We tried the burgers.  Which you must have with EVERYTHING.  I love my burgers juicy and dripping with tons of stuff.  (Just as a side note the regular burger is a double which we didn't know.  You have to order a little burger to get a single.  Our puppy was glad we accidentally order doubles and happily finished them off for us.)
We also tried their hot dogs.  I'm telling you they weren't your average weenie.  It was butterflied, grilled and topped with cheese and bacon.  Yowza!
The fries were made from fresh potatoes and cooked to crispy perfection.  Word to the wise:  You get a bazillion fries in an order.  You can have 2 adults share one regular order and still have enough left to feed an angry mob of sea gulls.
We ordered 2 fries (being Five Guy virgins-- we didn't know) and we got creative with our left overs.
We left with happy tummies and a new opinion of Five Guys.  We really liked their food.  If you've never been, you should give it a try.  You won't be disappointed.  The only thing they didn't have was shakes.  So I'll still have to go to In-N-Out for my shake fix.  But hey, at least I don't have to get on a plane to go to Five Guys.


Five Guys, I think we can be friends.

17 comments:

Margene said...

Can we go to Five Guys (are they as good as In and Out) and Fiddle Sticks, a custard ice cream and something from Lakelands and etc when we are there this weekend. ?????????????????? I hope there is time and you won't have to cook either.

Justin, Amy, and Grace said...

Do you have a Chick-fil-A nearby? They're milkshakes are pretty darn good, and not a bad substitute for In 'n Out.

Mandi@TidbitsfromtheTremaynes said...

I would also like to say that I am a "burger conoisseur". And I must agree with you, that burgers must be juicy. Filled with to the brim with goodness.

d.n.williamson said...

Where is the Five Guys?

Taylor Swim said...

There is one at Brookfield Mall, Mayfair Mall and some around Lake Zurich. You've gotta check it out!

Unknown said...

OHHHHHHHHHHHH, what do I want? Five Guys or IN and Out? We have both. I love both. It really depends on the $'s I have. If I really have many $'s I go to Five guys, if not, In and Out. I am never dissapointed with either. We even have Tony burger's. Another great place. Great burgers and shakes. When did burgers become such a big deal? I remember when they were 5 for $1. Yes I am old and those were the days.

iammommahearmeroar said...

Yum! I love five guys. Next time I'd like to see a picture of you guys with your extra fries and that mob of seagulls.

christy said...

I am a bit if a burger snob & I love 5 Guys & dare I say more than In N'Out. We just got 5 Guys too & I also made the mistake of ordering a regular burger & a large fry (for 3 of us), way too much food. Very yummy & home-made tasting.

steven said...

5 guys is gross all they are is a overpriced fastfood place the burgers taste like they have been microwaved, the fries taste horrible, im suprized noone has had a stroke yet from the food

Cari said...

being from Cali myself, I have a hard time finding a burger that holds up to my In-n-Out standards, but I had a Five Guys while up in Nashville, TN and thought that I had died and gone to heaven. I just wish there was one in Memphis.

Anonymous said...

mmmmph mmmph Hold on.....I can't talk with my mouth full! mmmph mmmph Oops, had to take another bite. I LOVE this place!!!

Anonymous said...

two words,,,,rip off.........

Anonymous said...

how can it be a rip off, you saw the food, you i=ordered and ate it, can you explain in detail? that means back your words up , bu the way....
signed just curious

Anonymous said...

5 Guys runs circles around In & Out. It isn't even close. I like I&O, but why settle for that, especially the cardboard fries?

Anonymous said...

I was at the outdoor mall today going to get a jumbo juice and noticed this new restaurant (which I thought was in-n-out) called five guys along the way. What caught my eye was the Cajun fries. I went to get my juice first and while there asked the Jumbo employee how was the five guys restaurant. He said "its alright and expensive and they do have lots of extra toppings but I prefer In-n-Out". After getting his 2 cents I went to go check Five guys out. I ordered a regular burger and reg fries. To make a long story short, the burger was too big and tasteless. All I could taste was the meat and so those extra toppings didn't make a difference. I also told the lady single burger but got a double. I also thought I was going to taste those Cajun fries but apparently you have to ask for them since the lady didn't mention the options to me. Too many fries also to the point I could not get my burger out of the bag without eating 1/4 of the fries. I ended up throwing away about half the order of fries. I will definitely stick to In-N-Out burger which has a better ambient too.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

So basically, you tasted real meat, had extra fries, and oops, one employee made a mistake and five guys isn't good?

Related Posts with Thumbnails