Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Out Smarted

The past little while has been a little touch and go with colds going around our house.  Last week I kept my oldest son home with a bad fever.

I sent everyone off to school and after my chores were all done I went to check back in with my son.  His fever was gone and he was all perked up.  I made a game plan decision and took him with on all of my errands so I wouldn't get backed up a day.

He is in third grade so it's been a while since we've had the day to ourselves.  We had so much fun.  We talked and laughed.  We ate treats and had lunch.  It was the best "sick" day ever.  I knew we'd get mixed reviews when his brothers and sisters got home so I told him to keep the majority of our day to himself.

That lasted about 2.5 seconds.

Monday I'm out to lunch and I get a phone call from the school.  My youngest son is sick and needs to be picked up.  I ask in my best sympathetic mom voice, "Is he faking?"  The secretary assures me that he looks pale and is slightly shaky.  So I drive all the way back to the school to find my son pink faced and happy, swinging his legs on the nurse's bench.

We get home and I try to call him out on his fake illness.  He won't budge.  I settle him in and start doing a few things around the kitchen.  Moments later, he sidles up next to me and bats his big eyes.

"Mom, remember how much fun you and Rugby had on Friday?"  I say, "Yeah..."  He turns to me and says, "When does the fun start now?"

Busted!

Not only was he faking to spend time with me-- I'm the one who basically brought it on myself.  Geez, talk about bad parenting.

It's always feels good to be out smarted by your seven year old.  Ugh!

1 comment:

Carlie said...

That is cute that he was so excited to spend time with you! haha I can see any kids I have pulling that on me one day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails